Sunday, January 27, 2013

Draped lycra slip and tips on getting a dress form

Sometime last year, I finally decided to get myself a dress form, and got mine from Leichio in Thailand. I posted this pic below on the day I received the package, and christened her Sha Nay Nay thanks to one of my Youtube favorites: Top 60 Ghetto Black Names

Yeah, I was so happy I felt like hugging her to sleep!

For my first ever project with Sha Nay Nay, I made a Lycra slip to wear under my dresses. The fabric is soft, so I can also wear it as a long tank top on its own.


Check out my boobies.


Just kidding, they're Sha Nay Nay's! Heh. Now stop checking out her cleavage! :P


This slip was fully draped on Sha Nay Nay, so no paper pattern pieces. I learned some pros and cons, which I'll get to below.


The edges were finished with small zig zag stitches, as I didn't want anything too bulky.


Here you can see one of Sha Nay Nay's adjustable dials, just like a cyborg eh?


Having a dress form has really helped me in my sewing adventures. It cuts down fitting time, and I'm able to create patterns from draping directly onto the form, like I did on the wedding dress. Here are some tips for getting your own dress form.


Tips on buying/making dress forms

If you sew for yourself and others...
1. Consider getting an adjustable dress form that falls within your measurements. Amazon sometimes has discounts-- while searching I found that the common size was M, and they were cheaper than the other sizes.
2. Check if the tailor form is pin-able. A pin-able form is needed for draping designs (some pin all the way into the body, and some pin halfway meaning you will have to angle the pin at a slant to push it in)


If you only sew for yourself...
1. Measure your body measurements (key areas: bust, waist, hips) and try to look for one closest to your size. It may be easier to buy a slightly smaller one and pad it up later to match your measurements, rather than buying a bigger one which might not help much with your fitting.
2. It won't be essential to have an adjustable dress form, so you get to save some money there :)
3. Like the above, check if the tailor form is pin-able.
4. Make your own! Here are a few ideas:


Shannon's duct tape dress form, made mostly on her own with the help of her adorable son. The thing I like about her version is that she filled the insides with spray foam.


Threads' mama got swag paper tape dress form


Sartorial DIY's amazing plaster bandages dress form. One word: WOAH!!


lazylinchen's sloper dress form filled with sawdust... another of my favorites!
Do you have a dress form, and if not would you be interested to make one on your own?

7 comments:

  1. Love your slip!! And the color is so pretty. And happy to meet your Sha Nay Nay! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laurie! I'm glad I made this, my previous slip was so bulky and wonky :P

      Delete
  2. Great when you get something new am like that when I just get a button hole chisel or a new sewing book. Yes I would love to make my own as my weight fluctuates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you get your edges so neat with just zigzag stitches. Am never happy when I do that even if I trim close it still doesn't look half as neat as yours.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean about getting new sewing tools ;-) Thank you, I did a straight stay stitch less than 5mm from the edge, and then folded the edges in (using the staystitch as a guide), and zigzaged slowly so that only the left side of the zigzag stitch catches the fabric, and the right side doesn't catch any fabric at all. I tried doing it without the staystitch and it was very hard to control since this fabric was stretchy, so for now that's the only way I know how to do it..

      Delete
  3. The slip is adorable and nice to meet your new dress form!I really want to buy one myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think you would have a lot of fun with one too! :)

      Delete