Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Project: DIY Craft Shelf from Recycled Shoe Rack


Hello! I'm sorry for being away so long, but I'm back now, and I hope my 9 readers are still here LOL. I've been using this craft shelf on my table for a month or so, but only managed to find time to post up pictures of this project now. 


It's a very simple recycling project of turning an old rickety shoe rack into THREE practical (and pretty) things I needed in my home: a craft shelf for my working table, a single shoe rack, and a rack for our bathroom storage.


These stray buttons sure come in handy-- two of them just saved my recent sewing project!

Here's what my work table looked like before these shelves came to life:


I thought about installing wall shelves to maximize my table space, but when I saw this old shoe rack that was about to be thrown out, I figured hey, I've always wanted to spray paint some stuff, why not now eh? 


I believe this shoe rack came from Ikea. The screws were loose so it was rickety. I had recently thrown out/donated a lot of my shoes (part of my ongoing mission to build and maintain a capsule wardrobe-- buy less, wear more), so we didn't really need this extra rack. After measuring it and making sure it'd fit on my table, I cleaned and disinfected it with Dettol and let it sunbathe for a bit. 

Then came the fun part: spray painting!




Dove spray paints smell the best of the lot. Uh, not that I was sniffing it...


My favorite spray paint for now as it seems to apply the best and comes in a wide range of colors AND is easily available.



I also painted some of the legs with acrylic paint as a comparison to using spray paint. While spray paint is easier and quicker, using acrylic would be more practical if you preferred to work indoors on a rainy day for example.

After reassembling it into 3 separate racks with the help of some very strong glue, I now have the following:


A gold-white-blue rack for the dry area under our bathroom sink;




A matte black-pink-Persian green single-level shoe rack for our daily outdoor slippers;



and a two-level Persian green-gold craft shelf for my working table.


When my laptop isn't in use, I slide it under the shelf to make more space on the table for crafting or sewing. I have so much table space now and all my essentials are within reach. Yay!

Next mission: Re-upholstering that chair I sit on...


4 comments:

  1. Gosh, that's one NEAT table! Shall attempt that for a weekend project soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Mel! Lately I've been obsessed with keeping everything in containers/baskets. The aunty in me is emerging. :P

      Delete
  2. Hey! ching!
    Maybe I am the tenth reader of you!
    But you have even more readers definitely!
    Already Followed you in Bloglovin.
    I like your blog, like seriously :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you are so cute Chui! Sorry for responding to your comment late. Here's wishing you a great new year for 2013! :D

      Delete