Are you ready for some amazeballs knitting??
I run Weekly Dose of Color, an online newsletter under my accessories brand L.A.R.K where the aim is simple: to simply share and spread the love for color. L.A.R.K is short for Life's A Real Kaleidoscope, a vibe that's reflected in the colors and designs for the things I create under that brand, which is why everything you see on the online store is so full of color! What would the world be without color?
Am I the only one feeling like I'm looking at where Willy Wonka lives??
Which is why when my friend Steph posted up photos of some knitting street art in her neighborhood Brunswick, it caught my eye. First she posted up a picture of a street sign where its pole was completely covered in colorful knitted yarn. Then she posted more and more pictures, and with every picture I got more and more amazed! So I decided to start a feature on Weekly Dose of Color to feature real people who bring color into the world. I got in touch with Claire Drake a.k.a. A Brunswick Bomber and was so intrigued by her story that I decided to also do a full feature of here on my blog. I know some of you out there are really good at knitting-- even if you don't knit (ie me), trust me, her work is going to inspire you!
A group project with Melbourne Street Knitters
Please tell us a bit about yourself :)
My street name is A Brunswick Bomber. I am a part-time yarn bomber and full time primary school teacher - although I wish that was the other way around. I got started when I saw a piece of knitting wrapped around a pole in Fitzroy. I did some online searching and found out that what I'd seen was a yarn bomb. Soon after that, I joined my first yarn bombing group (Yarn Corner) on Facebook. It was a good way to hook up with like-minded people and get involved in large-scale projects. As well as doing solo projects as A Brunswick Bomber, I now work with a small group of yarn bombers under the name Melbourne Street Knitters.
If this doesn't invite you to be a tree hugger (literally), I don't know what will.
At what age did you learn how to knit, and what was your first knitted creation?
I learned to knit when I was about 8 or 9. My nanna taught me. I wasn't that into it. I guess I didn't have the patience. Over the years, I picked up knitting needles a few times and tried to finish a scarf. It never happened. I only started knitting and getting pleasure from it once I began yarn bombing. Making jumpers or other clothing doesn't really interest me. I only get excited about knitting for the street. Now, I knit to relax and do it for several hours each night. If I'm sitting down and not knitting it feels weird. All of my troubles and stresses melt away when I'm knitting.
Another group project with Melbourne Street Knitters!
Why did you start yarnbombing Brunswick?
I started yarn bombing Brunswick because I wanted to enhance the dull, urban environment I live in. I thought that placing unexpected splashes of colour and texture on street signs, bicycle racks, trees and poles would make my surroundings more interesting and inviting. I do it because I like the way it looks. I think yarn bombs are friendly and non-threatening. They make people smile. I love it when I see another artist's yarn bomb. It reminds me that the world can be a cozy and happy place.
Claire at work! Photo by Bali Portman
What are your go-to knitting needle sizes for yarnbombing, and how long does it take for you to work on a project?
I always use 6mm needles. It can take any length of time to complete a project. An average tree may take two or three weeks to knit and then three or four hours to install. A street sign pole can be whipped up in a couple of nights and installed in twenty minutes. Your average bike rack takes about 3 nights of knitting and then 30 minutes to install.
Bringing color to the world, one knit at a time. Photo by David Scholes
What is your dream destination/item to yarnbomb?
I don't really know. I'm always on the look out for new, interesting objects and strange shaped things on the street to yarn bomb. Being in one place doesn't stop me from having my yarn bombs on display in different parts of the world. I've contributed to quite a few overseas projects by mail and received contributions from overseas yarn bombers for projects here in Australia. Yarn bombers all over the world are very good at making contact with each other online and collaborating on joint projects. Yarn bombing can be a solo endeavour to improve your local neighbourhood or it can be a very social experience that exposes you to lots of different people from many different cultures.
I'd totally wear that sweater!
I hope you enjoyed this little interview with A Brunswick Bomber! Follow her on Facebook (she even gives advice on how to yarnbomb) and subscribe to Weekly Dose of Color for more colorful features... I have someone very yummy lined up for the next newsletter! :)
All pictures belong to Claire Drake unless credited otherwise
#yarnbombing
#LifesARealKaleidoscope
#realpeople








I love that people think of doing amazing things like these. Me, I can't even knit mittens :(
ReplyDeleteLet's not even talk mittens, I can't even finish knitting a scarf! ;-)
Delete