Thursday, June 7, 2012

Tutorial: Wooden earrings


Ok, you know I love my angled lines and geometry, so I couldn't resist making these wooden earrings! And guess what? No sawing needed, and definitely no fancy carpentry skills needed. The secret? Check out the simple material list below.


You'll need:
Scissors
A small bowl of water
Ear wire hooks
Ribbon crimps
Jump rings
Popsicle sticks

Yup, the secret is the good ol' popsicle stick! I'm using wide ones (the kind used by dentists), and you can even get them in colors from party shops.


To prep the popsicle sticks, cut the stick into half or thirds. Go slow, to prevent the wood from splitting.


Soak the sticks in the bowl of water for about 10 - 15 mins. 
Practice some dance moves.


While the stick is still wet, use the scissors to shape the earrings however you want it to be. You'll notice that because it was soaked in water, the wood will be easier to cut and will be less prone to splitting compared to being cut dry.


I wanted a simple chevron shape, but you can totally make it in any shape you want. Square, rectangle, triangle, bojangle.


Pat it dry. To quicken the drying process, just use your hairdryer :D


Attach the ribbon crimps, jump rings and ear wires. To strengthen the hold of the ribbon crimp, you can either use a multipurpose adhesive like UHU or even a pair of pliers. You're done! Wear it as it is, or... 


... decorate it with some paint! Either way, you'll end up with some cute statement jewelry.

If you like this tutorial, do share it :D And let me know if you make them!

Btw, do check out my interview on Two Girls Times, one of the sweetest and clever blogzines I've got to know lately. I talk about my love for making things and my idea of a good party, and why I want to clone myself into Dani Stahl... ok just kidding. Partly.

Teleport to the interview here.


5 comments:

  1. I can't believe how simple it seems to make and how gorgeous the result is. Thanks for sharing, this is so in this summer trend! Not sure I will find time to make some, but will definitely share on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Raphaele Hello! :D I'm glad you like it! It is very simple and once you start making it you might make more than 1 pair haha. Thank you for sharing the tutorial!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great trick to soak the wood! I have some wood shapes I wanted to cut, and now know how, thanks! The earrings look great.
    Erin @ www.thanksimadeitblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I loved it :D great use for that popsicle sticks, you have a great blog and of course a new follower :D

    xoxo julieta
    www.vjuliet.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Erin, Thank you, glad you found it helpful! :)

    @Julieta, Thank you for following! I love wearing them, they're light and there's so many ways to customize them! :D

    ReplyDelete