Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Quick and dirty re-upholstery


This is our very old couch.


It's been in my husband's family for about 20 years, and the fabric has started to show its age after all the wear and tear. The surface is scratchy and if the weather is hot, seating on this couch will make you sweat more. And oh our late cat scratched off the side panel completely too hahaha. I miss her :)

We were planning to throw out this couch in a couple of months, but in the meantime since we're still using it, I thought I'd get a taste of DIY upholstery by using some fabric leftover from a shoot I assisted Lobak in:



(I'm the last Blackberry in the proposal scene hehe)

I read up on a couple of blogs on DIY upholstery, checked out some Youtube videos (I'd like to think of that process as me being a more down-to-earth, female Neo in The Matrix downloading his kungfu skills....), and finally decided on a quick and dirty way to reupholster this couch with my trusty stapler gun that I earned from a small wedding decorating job.

Ok so after wrestling with the couch for a few hours, here is what it looks like now:


I know, so crude, right? HAHA. But it'll do for now. The next time I do it, I'll do it proper by sewing the shapes that correlate with the shapes and parts of the couch, as well as possibly getting piping for the edges. Hopefully the next time I post a re-upholstery project, I'll be able to share something much more prettier with you! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment